Laparoscopy is a technique of performing surgery through small incisions with the help of camera which is inserted through one of these incision. It is also called as key-hole surgery.
Laparoscopy has many advantages over traditional open surgery like :
- Minimum stay in hospital
- Very less pain
- Cosmetically better as small scar
- Minimum post op rest period and faster recovery.
Almost all gynec surgeries can be performed Laparoscopically like:
Laparoscopy & fertility:- Many cases with different conditions in which a surgery is required to restore fertility e.g. fibroids, ovarian endometrioma etc.
Fibroids:- In case of large fibroids which cause pressure on endometrium myomectomy may be required
Ovarian Endometrioma / cysts:- Endometriosis is a complex condition where treatment may be required both surgically and medically to restore fertility. Endometriomas or chocolate cysts if more than 3cm, need removal & may required post-op GnRH agonist to suppress the disease
Diagnostic laparoscopy:- In case of infertility to find on exact cause of infertility & for tubal testing
Hysteroscopy:- This is a procedure where the uterine cavity is examined from inside through the cervixIndication:
- For diagnostic purpose in infertility management
- For post menopausal bleeding
Hysteroscopic surgeries that are done:
- Septal resection
- Poly removal
- Sub-mucous fibroid removal
Laparoscopic hysterectomy :-
- Removal of uterus through a key hole incision
- Even large uterus with multiple fibroids can be safely removed laparoscopically.